Tuesday, March 12, 2024

SNL Reviews: Dakota Johnson/Justin Timberlake (1/27/24)

 Cold Open: NFL on CBS

Panelists lament the end of football season.

• Not too familiar with Jim Nantz’s voice due to my apathy towards football, but I’m sure JAJ is spot on. And, hey, nice to see Dismukes up front in a big role!

• Nantz’s brief sponsor plug for Boeing made me think of the ESPN Classic sketches with Sudeikis and Forte. Boy, I wish I could be watching one of those right now.

• Again, due to my apathy towards football, I’m not really finding this hilarious. Maybe my brother would get more enjoyment out of it? I dunno.

• I think they were trying to go for a meta-joke when Kenan says that there’s no live programs on TV that are worth watching, but his delivery is so bad that it ruins whatever humor was supposed to be there. I do agree with him, though, because SNL is definitely not worth watching anymore.

• All the simping for that Barbie movie is getting old.

• UGGGHHHHH, Molly as a man yet again!!!!! 

• I have no comment on the attempt at a “heartwarming” moment. This cold open is nothing but garbage.


Monologue

Dakota talks about her new movie Madame Web and being taken out of context by reporters. Oh, and Jimmy Fallon shows up for no reason.

• I am not exactly excited to see Dakota again, given how much of a train wreck her last appearance was.

• The joke about Trump and Taylor Swift was so hacky and unnecessary.

• HUGE applause when Timberlake makes his obligatory appearance.

• As usual, JT is coming off as a huge egotistical douche, saying things that he knows will get cheap applause.

• An even larger round of applause when Jimmy Fallon shows up in his Barry Gibb outfit. Ohohoho, just you wait….


Sketch: Waiters

Two WACKY waiters annoy everybody.

• As soon as Sarah showed up as a waiter, I knew I was in for a rough sketch. It seems that most SNL sketches with wacky waiters turn out to be horrible.

• This “chicken fongers” routine is hacky as fuck. It’s sad to see that Sarah is aping shitty Anderlette sketches now.

• The writer’s guide I use doesn’t say who was behind this sketch, but I’m willing to bet it was Sarah in collaboration with Jimmy Fowlie or Kent Sublette.

• Kenan’s loud, shouty role, combined with his “funny” word substitutions just add to my hunch that this is a Sublette piece.

• Horrible and predictable ending. What the fuck is happening to Sarah this season?!? We get another really bad example of her decline in the next episode.


Film: Home Videos

A son discovers a horrible secret about his parents’ relationship…

• This seems like it’s going to be a nice heartwarming slice-of-life sketch at first, but then Andrew finds an episode of a Maury knock-off that his parents appeared on. It seems a little too late to be doing a Maury parody, but I’ll keep an open mind here…

• Mikey is perfectly cast as the father.

• I’m ignoring all of the obvious Anderlette cliches here (the Southern accents and the focus on a talk show) and focusing on the sketch itself. It’s surprisingly not bad so far…

• Marcello’s character is great, as is the fact that his name is “Spooky”.

• Amazing stunt work when Spooky throws a Mikey stunt double against the wall. Even better is that this turns out to be the reason why Mikey’s character needs to use a cane.

• Even though I saw the twist coming at the end where Spooky shows up as the grandmother’s nurse and tells Andrew that he switched the test results, I still laughed.


Sketch: The Barry Gibb Talk Show

An old sketch is brought out of the mothballs for no reason.

• NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Why would you tease us, SNL?!!??!! They said in the monologue that they wouldn’t be doing this crap, so what is this on my screen right now???

• You know, I thought we were safe from ever seeing this again, given that the real Barry Gibb showed up the last time they did it, and the fact that Robin Gibb has been dead for about 12 years. But, no, of course not. As I said with the unnecessary return of Ruth Bader Ginsburg in the Jake Gyllenhaal episode, not even death can stop SNL from digging up tired old routines.

• Random return of Bowen’s Andrew Yang impression, something he hasn’t done since his first season.

• Seeing Jimmy and Justin perform this again is just so sad. Their moves are not as fluid as they once were, and it looks like what would happen if your grandpa tried to disco dance.

• I’m glad my mom was happy to see this sketch again (because she likes it for some reason), but I sure wasn’t. It had better stay dead this time…


Please Don’t Destroy: Roast

Dakota treats the guys like shit.

• I like how the audience response to these films has gotten to the point that they immediately applaud when the title card pops up.

• Interesting concept of Dakota roasting the guys.

• Nice nod to SNL’s past when she calls them “The Lonelier Island”.

• John: “Can you introduce me to Sydney Sweeney?” Give it a few episodes…

• I like the callback to the “Three Sad Virgins” film. Even though I wasn’t a fan of that one, it’s nice to see how far they’ve come since then.

• A great slam from Dakota about the Please Don’t Destroy movie that nobody saw. I can’t even remember what it was called.

• John: “I’m gonna change the cue cards so you say the n-word during your monologue.”

• Probably the best PDD film since, I don’t know, the Shrek one?


Sketch: Big Dumb Cups

Since hats are no longer in, the gals decide to advertise cups instead.

• Ugh, we’re really doing a Big Dumb Hats sequel? I thought the Garrett from Hinge reprisal was unnecessary, but this takes the cake!

• Some of the “jokes” here are straight out of a Nickelodeon show, specifically the running gag where Dakota’s cup gets bigger each time we see it.


Musical Performance: “Sanctified”


Weekend Update (featuring Ethan and Jan Janby)

• I kind of liked Michael interjecting “He didn’t even do it!” during Colin’s joke about OJ Simpson,

• I’ve lost count of how many jokes they’ve made this season about airplanes crashing. 

• UGGGGHHHHHH!!!! Yet another commentary from Bowen as a flamboyant gay stereotype!!!

• The running gag where this character constantly name drops himself isn’t as funny as they think it is.

• Bowen continues to get on my nerves with each passing episode. I wish the show would get the hint and stop shoving him in every sketch!

• Nice ballsy joke from Che about how he wishes certain people would be returned to Ghana.

• Oh, come on, SNL!!!! Now we get a “wacky” Heidi commentary!!! Did they really need two Jimmy Fowlie-written commentaries in this episode?

• One of the worst Updates of the season.


Sketch: Book Club

Some lady announces a multi-million dollar idea.

• Where has Ego been in this episode? Or Punkie, for that matter? It sucks that both of SNL’s black females are reduced to appearing in one sketch. 

• Dakota’s voice and appearance remind me of Kristen Wiig. Yeah…not exactly the person I want to be reminded of….

• People still care about Shark Tank? 

• This has devolved into the usual react-and-explain routine that we’re all so tired of at this point. I’m surprised Mikey didn’t write this.

• Just in case you didn’t get the hint earlier, they have some Shark Tank people show up at the end!!! For no reason!!!! Dontcha just love pointless cameos?


Musical Performance: “Selfish”


Sketch: Lost Bag

A lady comes to retrieve her lost bag, but has to prove that she owns it.

• Jesus Christ, SEVEN different writers?!? I can tell that this sketch is going to be an unfocused mess…

• Another very Kristen Wiig-esque role for Dakota.

• Devon’s lispy-voiced character seems out of place in this era. This seems more like something Fred Armisen would do back in 2009. Thankfully, Devon’s likability is making this particular character come off as less annoying than it would have back then, even if I’m still not laughing.

• Are we sure this isn’t a Kent Sublette sketch? The gay stereotype and “funny” word substitutions are right out of his playbook.

• And now Kenan comes out as another gay stereotype to further add to my hunch that Sublette had something to do with this.

• The ending with Sarah’s character was just awful. Believe it or not, we still haven’t seen the worst of her decline yet…


Cut for Time: Horny Little Dork

Various women discuss their husbands’…odd habits.

• The slow buildup to the introduction of Mikey’s character is well done, making it all the more hilarious when his “transformation” happens.

• This premise is so dumb…but I kinda like it. In fact, I think I like it more than most of the stuff that actually made it into the episode!

• James is almost unrecognizable in his role.


Final thoughts: Yeesh, that was a very rough episode. I don’t know what’s happened to this season all of a sudden, but these past two episodes have been absolutely horrible. On the plus side, Dakota was utilized much better in this episode than in her previous one, getting to play more than just bland straight roles.


Best sketches: Roast, Horny Little Dork

Worst sketches: Waiters, The Barry Gibb Talk Show, Ethan’s commentary, Jan Janby’s commentary, Lost Bag


Next review: Ayo Edebiri/Jennifer Lopez

No comments:

Post a Comment