Tuesday, December 14, 2021

SNL Reviews: Nick Jonas (2/27/21)

Cold Open

Dr. Fauci hosts “So You Think You Can Get The Vaccine”, a game show that helps simplify the vaccine rollout.

• UGGGHHHH!!!! Not Fauci again!

• Pete Davidson’s Cuomo becomes recurring only a week after his debut. They actually take time to mock him here by referring to his sexual assault allegations as the kind that make you go, “Yeah, I can see that”, which I will admit gave me a chuckle.

• Pretty good line from Cuomo: “Remember when your favorite movie was my PowerPoints?”

• Those sponsor plugs for CVS are annoying.

• Jesus, this is the THIRD episode in a row with Aidy as Ted Cruz! It wasn’t even good the first time, so why do they keep bringing it back?

• Despite a few laughs, this is yet another awful cold open.


Monologue

Note: This isn’t on YouTube for some strange reason. I don’t remember it being all that bad, but I’ll have to leave this space blank until I can find it.


Sketch: Workout Mirror

Two men discover that their mirror is cursed.

• This had some promise at first, but then the mirror cycled to Kate, and my hopes started to subside.

• Unfortunately, her character quickly becomes the focus of the sketch, and any promise that it had left vanishes. I’m sick of Kate McKinnon being allowed to do whatever she wants and take up so much screentime with her ugly mugging face. Sorry for the rant there, but it’s something I needed to get off of my chest.


Film: Murder Show

Some women perform a song about the interesting way they unwind.

• We’re back to basics with this music video, after the last two were surprisingly good.

• I guess I would find this okay if I had any idea what the hell any of these shows were, but I’ve never heard of them.

• Despite that, I did get some nice eye candy from Ego in this one.


Sketch: Cinderella

Prince Charming (Jonas) tries to find the owner of a ridiculously small slipper.

• I already knew this sketch was gonna blow when I saw it was Disney related. And then the first thing we see is Kenan speaking in my “favorite” voice of his.

• Of fucking course they would get Kate to play the evil stepmother.

• Something about Nick Jonas in that wig reminds me of Chris Parnell.

• Just when I thought this couldn’t get any worse, there’s a fart joke. I’m surprised it’s taken them this long in the season to do one.

• I am liking the voice Nick is using, but it’s not enough to save this.

• Then, to make things even worse, Aidy shows up as a mouse, and we get some disgusting jokes about her having sex with the Prince. Isn’t bestiality just hilarious?

• Aidy trying to “sing” was fucking painful.

• My mind totally broke at the line about Jafar sprinkling birdseed on his dick for Iago to “go to town” with.

• I can’t believe I didn’t put this on my Worst Sketches of Season 46 list. This is fucking awful!!!


Film: Bachelor Party

A bachelor party takes an unexpected turn.

• I groaned so loud at Heidi’s line about “an extra large sausage”. Please stop it with the dick jokes!

• Then they start singing a song about getting boners. Why must this episode continue to torture me like this?


Musical Performance: “Spaceman”


Weekend Update (featuring LaVar Ball and Marjorie Taylor Greene)

• “Blah blah blah Trump bad blah blah blah we hate white people blah blah blah”

• Kenan is back as LaVar Ball. I thought he was slightly amusing the first time I saw him, but he’s gotten less and less funny the more they keep bringing him back. I can’t believe I’m admitting this, but Kenan is slowly becoming one of my least favorite cast members. I feel like he’s already done all that he can on the show.

• Another bestiality joke, this time regarding Gonzo from The Muppet Show. And there’s another stock Muppet joke that I can’t stand (along with the ones about puppets having no legs or having hands up their butts).

• Cecily’s impression of kooky Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene becomes recurring. Like I said before, the real Greene is like a parody of herself, so trying to make fun of her is kind of redundant. It doesn’t help that the voice Cecily is using makes me want to put a bullet through my head.

• Wow, this may be one of the worst Updates I’ve ever had to sit through. Every single joke fell flat for me.


Sketch: Viking Voyage

A group of teens struggle to pair up before getting on an amusement park ride.

• Jeez, what is with this episode? I’m not joking when I say this is one of the worst I’ve ever had to sit through. And the funny thing is that I don’t even remember it being this awful the first time I watched it.

• Is Pixar paying these writers? Kyle Mooney’s character in this is prominently holding a doll of the main character from Pixar’s movie Soul for the whole sketch. And they won’t stop saying “the guy from Soul” in the dialogue. It’s pathetic how much SNL has sold out in the last few years.

• I lost count of how many times they call Kyle a “cuck”. It’s like I’m on 4chan or something.

• Another sketch that I should have put on my Worst Sketches list. This was extremely painful to sit through.


Sketch: The Dionne Warwick Talk Show

The host still has no idea who her guests are.

• This again?!? Come on, the first one wasn’t even that funny!

• Kenan looks pretty amusing as The Weeknd. I appreciate that he didn’t use THAT ONE VOICE for him.

• I chuckled at Warwick randomly asking him, “Why are you from Canada?”

• Her insults towards Nick Jonas are actually pretty funny. I also like the dig at John Legend when she says that Nick is the most boring coach on The Voice, despite one of the other coaches being Legend.

• I still don’t understand the Wendy Williams running gag.

• Another slightly funny line when she calls Dua Lipa’s name nasty, because it is apparently Spanish for “Two Lips”.

• They blatantly recycle the ending of the last sketch where she refuses to talk to Machine Gun Kelly once again.

• This was a big improvement over the original. The next one is even better, but more on that in time…


Musical Performance: “This Is Heaven”


Sketch: Dating After Lockdown

Two strangers meet during their first night out after quarantine.

• Lauren Holt is wasted with a silent role as a bartender. I feel sorry for this poor lady every time she appears.

• Kate is really reminding me of Kristen Wiig in this sketch, which is not a good thing. There’s one part in the middle where she keeps interjecting “Kidding” into her sentences, like that awful Judy Grimes character that Wiig used to do.

• What a boring sketch. There’s a reason they put it at the end of the show.


Final thoughts: Lord. Have. Mercy. After two surprisingly good episodes, I get punished with one of the worst episodes I’ve ever seen. As much as I don’t like the Jonas Brothers, Nick wasn’t the problem. The problem was the weak, clunky-ass writing. Once I get to my end-of-season write up, you can bet I’ll be putting this episode under the worst episodes section.


Best sketches: The Dionne Warwick Talk Show

Worst sketches: Cold Open, Cinderella, Bachelor Party, Weekend Update, Viking Voyage


Next review: Maya Rudolph/Jack Harlow

No comments:

Post a Comment